Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Book Review: Radical by David Platt

Wow!  That’s probably the best one word review of this book I could give.  Every night I would read a chapter in this book and every night I was challenged, convicted and inspired to a deeper and more radical walk with my Lord.  The big idea of this book is that typical American Christianity has gone astray and led most of us down a path of the kind of consumerist, materialist, stuff-obsessed spirituality that is dramatically different than the faith described in the Bible.

 

Platt asks some very tough and difficult to answer questions that every Christian should struggle with.  We need to realize that every dollar that moves through our hands is there by the grace of God and to be used for His glory.  We re the most prosperous people on Earth but most of our wealth goes to making our lives easier or for our enjoyment, and while it isn’t necessarily wrong to enjoy the blessings God allows in our lives we need to make sure that we are maximizing our money has upon the Kingdom of God.  What would happen if every Christian committed to just $1oo a year to foreign missions?  What would happen if American Christians were intentional about making sure they were using their money in ways that honor God?  As the author points out, there is a world of difference between “How much can I spare” and “How much will it take”.

 

I cannot recommend this book enough.  In fact, now that I’m done I’m going to give my copy to some other people in my church because this message is too important to keep to myself.  Please get yourself a copy, read through it, and respond to the challenges the author gives you.

 

This Book was given to me for free by Blogging for Books for the purpose of review.  I received no monetary compensation.

 

Looking for a Reformed Church in Arlington TX? Visit us at ArlingtonBelievers.com

No comments: