Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Market like a dog: She's always in my way

2011-01-12 12.43.01I have a beautiful American Pit Boxer named Molly that we rescued from the Arlington Animal Shelter a few years ago and she is easily the best dog we’ve ever owned. (except for maybe Patches but that’s a different dog and a different story)  Being a rescue meant dealing with a few personality quirks along the way, for instance she really didn’t like confined spaces in the beginning.  The first weekend we had her we locked her in the bathroom with her food and water and figured she would be fine for  few hours while we went to dinner.  I still to this day cannot believe how incredibly wrong we were!  We returned home to a bathroom that was absolutely demolished, in fact the first thing we saw as we came round the corner was her nose sticking out of the door and into the hallway.  She had actually torn the bathroom door up so much that she had created a hole big enough to get her head through.  If we had come home twenty minutes later she would have been out of the bathroom and probably would have started on the front door.  Thank goodness that waiter finally brought us our change!

Over time we learned each others personalities and she doesn’t do crazy things like that as long as I keep her in a steady supply of food, water, exercise and belly rubs but as I’ve owned her I realized that my dog was a very good marketer.  She had a list of things she needed from me and she knew exactly how to play me and my family to get what she needed.  She is like a part of the family now and fits right into our daily schedule but never goes without anything she wants and as I watched how she did it I realized that what she did was applicable for every blog site owner or anyone with a product to sell so over the next couple of blog posts let me share with you a few of Molly’s insights

 

She is always in my way

The first thing that is apparent is that she is always in my way and right next to me so I can pet her.  In fact she does this so well I think she is part ninja!  When I come out of a room she gets in front of me and walks backwards in time with me so if I suddenly get the urge to pet her she is in position to jump up and get her ears rubbed.  The amazing thing is this almost always works!  She has trained me well!

 

Are you in your followers’ way?

Don’t underestimate the value of having a constant presence in front of the eyes of your reader.  You should have fresh posts in their RSS reader, a newsletter in their inbox, tweets in their Twitter stream, posts on their FaceBook page, and any other way you can think of.  Each impression raises familiarity with your brand incrementally and makes you more trustworthy and authoritative.  I have a certain speaker I follow, I listen to his podcasts, follow him on Twitter, read his blog, etc. and in the middle of every show he has a commercial for a book that he has written.  Over the last year, the desire has grown to buy this book just by the sheer number of ad impressions he was hitting me with and this Christmas when I got my new Kindle and $100.00 in Amazon gift cards (Best. Gift. Ever!) that was one of the first books I bought.  In fact I plan on buying more of his books as soon as I finish this one and he was able to make that sale because he was always in my way.  In fact at this point I’ll probably buy anything else he writes from now on.

 

Are you in your customers’ way?  Do they expect to see you everyday?  Are you a normal part of their day?  What can you do to get more impressions in front of your followers?  Join the conversation at my BlogFrog page and tell us what you think!

 

Need a FREE SEO site assessment?  Visit us at SEOassistant.org
Need PSD Design for your site?  Visit UniqueHorn.net

No comments: