Monday, January 7, 2008

1 Timothy

So, on to my 2nd passage of scripture, I Timothy! This was one of the passages I had on my mental list before I started this whole process. Being in a small church, we have never really had a need for elders, deacons, and what not. It pretty much the Pastor, the Youth Pastor (me), and whoever else volunteers. (And our wives of course) So we haven't really wrestled with the concept of a formal heirarchy of overseers, in fact I'm not sure if we really need one. That's one of the things I am going to look out for as I read.

But first, allow me to outline the first chapter so I get the main ideas.

I Oppose false teachers and God is gracious to the worst of sinners
A. vs 1-11 Tell false teachers to stop teaching!
1. vs 1-2 Opening greeting
2. vs 2-7 Command false teachers to stop and don't get caught up in minutia
3. vs 8-11 The law was made to condemn sinners
B. Paul was the worst of sinners but God daved him anyway
1. vs 12-14 Paul was shown mercy
2. vs 15-17 The reason He saves sinners to show His unlimited patience with us
3. vs 18-20 Hold fast to your faith and doctrine

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.
1 Tim 1:15-16

I think this is a common feeling among mature christians. That when we inspect our own lives, we see the worst of sin. I can not imagine anyone who has walked with the Lord for any length of time to think lightly of their sin. When I think of the cross, of the scourgings, of the thorns, of the spear, of the nails, and I realize that should have been mine. When I look at my own wrists and see no holes but know I have Christ anyway. When I look at my own side and see no spear but know I have Heaven anyway. It causes me to crumble before God and thank Him again for what He did to save me. It causes me to wonder at the grace that has been poured out on me. It causes my to acknowledge that If our positions were reversed, I would not save someone like me. But here I am, the chief of sinners, bought with the blood of Christ and a shining trophy to His grace. Let all creation look and marvel at the goodness of my God!

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of Glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

No comments: