Monday, January 14, 2008

2 Timothy 1

I've decided to do just 2nd Timothy this week and save Titus for next week. As I read both First and Second Timothy I am really surprised at how important doctrine was to Paul. I'm not sure how I missed this. It really makes me examine my own ministry even more to be sure I am keeping Paul's commands to Timothy. As a Youth Pastor, there is always a line to be walked between entertainment and teaching. It needs to be something they enjoy coming to and feel comfortable inviting their friends too, and it also needs to be meaty and Bible-saturated. I know that in the past I have had youth services that have been filled with fluff and have thrown out candy and had a fun time but no one learned anything. I also know that I have had services that have been so teaching-focused I wonder how much of what I said was retained. However, after reading these books I think the answer is to continue to teach doctrine but to try do it in engaging and interesting ways. I spend so much time studying for lessons (reading commentaries, word studies, etc.) and while that's a good thing, I need to invest time in illustrations and stories that make what I am saying memorable. One thing I won't do under any circumstances is have an all-entertainment, fluffy teaching on how to be a better you with no doctrine.

I Be faithful and use the gifts God gave you
A. vs 1-2 Greetings
B. vs 3-7 Fan your gift into flame
C. vs 8-12 Do not be ashamed of the gospel or of its apostles
D. vs 13-15 Guard what was deposited in you by the Holy Spirit
E. vs 16-18 Paul prays for Onesiphorus

This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time.
2 Timothy 1:9

What day were you saved? According to this verse, if you are saved it was because of a decision that was made wa-a-a-a-a-y before you were born. God chose you to be in Him before the first act of creation and your repentance and trusting in Jesus was just confirmation of what was already written. There is a lot of comfort in this verse. The most comforting aspect is if you are saved He will hold you safe through this life. There is nothing you can do to get unsaved. Those that fall away were false converts and were never saved in the first place. Nothing surprises God and He already knows all of our days. Not only does He know them but He also ordained them. God actively works in our life to bring His best plan for all of us to fruition. God is a good God that can be trusted and loved whole-heartedly and with abandon.

No comments: