Sunday, January 6, 2008

Philippians 4

IV Don't worry, keep your mind on God, give generously, and God will provide
A. vs 1-9 Pray about everything and think on the Godly parts of life
1. vs 1-3 The common bond of salvation should cause us to walk in unity with each other
2. vs 4-7 Rejoice and do not worry, pray about everything and God will give you His peace
3. vs 8-9 Think on the good and emulate your leaders
B. vs 10-23 God provides what we need
1. vs 10-13 Be content in every situation
2. vs 14-20 God will bring every gift back in blessings to the giver
3. 21-23 Paul's closing greetings back to the church

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
Phil 4:4

The words "with thanksgiving" have recently become very important to me. I'm not sure exactly why or what started it but lately I have been overwhelmed with a spirit of thanksgiving. I can't hardly open my mouth to pray that I don't spend much of my time thanking Him for what I already have. I think the one thing that has gotten drilled into my head is the simple fact that I deserve nothing. If I was honest I would have to admit that I deserve Hell. Not when I die but right now. My sin nature should have condemned me at birth. But was patient with me and for that I am thankful. He chose me to be in Him and for that I am thankful. He blessed me with a beautiful wife that I do not deserve and for that I am thankful. He blessed me with wonderful children that I do not deserve and for that I am thankful. He gave me a profitable business that I do not deserve and for that I am thankful. I don't have so little that I am tempted to curse HIm and I don't have so much that I am tempted to forget about Him and for that I am thankful. God has blessed me abundantly and kept my heart towards Him and for that I am thankful. I deserve so little but have been given so much and for that I am thankful. See?
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done

But the truth is even if I had none of this but still had God, still had the hope of eternity with Him, it would be enough. And for that I am thankful.





So that's it for Philippians, What did I learn?
I learned how to spell Philippians. (One L, two P's)(OK three P's)
I learned that Paul's chains didn't slow Him down at all. (What is slowing me down?)
I learned Paul was genuinely grateful when the body of Christ sent Him help. (I must remember to thank the co-laborers God has given me)
I learned Paul considered unity to be of greater importance than deciding who was right. (That's a tuffie!)
I learned to stop complaining. (The man was in chains! I've never even seen chains I complain when the temperature of the church isn't quite right!)
I learned Paul thought everything he has and ever had was like dung(!) when compared to Christ. (Makes my constant desire for new and better things appear pretty petty.)
I learned that if I want peace, I'm going to have to take my anxieties to the Lord. (Then leave them there!)
Finally, I learned that if I give generously to support the work of God and the people of God, God will meet all my needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus. (A good promise from a good God)

Well, that's my week in Philippians, I will miss it. I think tomorrow I'll start I Timothy.

No comments: