Saturday, January 5, 2008

Quick note before I get into my Bible today. Last night I watched my first episode of Battlestar Galactica. I have always been a huge Star Trek fan but just never got into BSG, so I decided to download the pilot and see if I liked it. The story was pretty cool but I hope they upgrade the special effects as the series goes on. I like the "Cylons among us" aspect as this was one of my favorite plotlines of ST:DS9 with the Dominion. I think I'll watch a few more episodes before I pass judgment.

IV Do not worry, Christ will provide
A. vs 1-9 Paul exorts the church
1. vs 1 Stand firm in the Lord
2. vs 2-3 Disagreeing christians need to agree with each other in the Lord
3. vs 4-7 Do not be anxious for anything
4. vs 8-9 Keep your mind on Godly things
B. vs 10-23 Paul is grateful for the gifts given to him
1. vs 10-13 Be content in every situation
2. vs 14-20 Paul blesses the church for their gifts
3. vs 21-23 Closing greetings from Paul

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
Phil 4:6

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Phil 4:12-13

I tell you what, if I could just get these concepts down I would sleep like a baby at night. How many times have I laid awake staring at the ceiling wondering how the bills would get paid. How many times has God come through. And how many times have I repeated the cycle the next time things are tight. Way to many to count. He has always provided, even when I have not been as wise as I should be with our money. I know it is a sin to worry and I do it anyway. I know worry is a slap in the face of God and I do it anyway. I know my worry reveals a deep-seated lack of faith in God's providence and I do it anyway. They say you can tell a lot about a man by whether he prays for a strong back or a light load. I have always asked for a light load. And I'm too afraid to ask for a strong back. Lord, have your way. I know you know what's best.

No comments: